Thursday 28 December 2017

Fricot dans ma (instant)pot

 Ours, like many other house holds in Canada, was gifted an instantpot for Christmas. If you've known me for a long time or have been reading my blog or following my social media posts you'll know I'm a huge pressure cooker fan, so this seems the natural progression, a pressure cooker that is automated, that doesn't require "supervision".
I decided tonight was the night to try it out. Mid-morning I took a small chicken out of the freezer. Unsure of its fate. Around 4:30 it was still quite frozen and I wondered if I was pushing my inaugural instant pot experience limits a bit. I figured I'd learn more from trial and error than spending an eternity gleaning from blogs, or the manual.
 I typically make fricot, in a stock pot, stove top, 1-2 times per month. I learned the basic art from a boyfriend in my late teens and more recently mastered the addition of dumplings by following an authentic recipe from an Acadian friend from Cocogne.  I browsed This blog post by Mommypotamus quickly, to get an idea about how to transition my fricot  to the "instantpot" world.
I quite literally threw the following into the pot in this order:

2 unpeeled carrots chopped
2 medium unpeeled white potatoes chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 medium peeled white onion chopped
A smallish chicken
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp summer savoury
1 tsp kosher salt
5 cups of water.

I closed the lid, made sure the steam vent was closed and pressed "soup". It seemed too simple and much too quiet so I flipped to the pressure cooker section of my manual. Everything seemed to be As instructed, and the valve was raised so I figured it was working. Eventually the timer started counting down from 30. After about an hour and a half total, the natural pressure release was complete, and I opened the pot a bit nervously, picturing a half cooked carcass. What I found was; chicken cooked to perfection in a delicious smelling broth- it worked. I "fished" the chicken out into a plate and pulled it apart with my fingers and a fork, returning the pulled meat to the pot (saving the bones for my next project- bone broth). Finally,  I gave it all a good stir & voila; started to ladle it out to my family.
My hubby & I both agreed it was the best fricot I've ever made. The broth was so rich, so flavourful. My son was a little disappointed because I hadn't added dumplings this time around.  I'll have to figure those out for next time. I'm thinking I'll make them simultaneously, stove top, in a portion of frozen bone broth.
Please let me know if you make some yourself, any tips or feedback much appreciated.



1 comment:

  1. I used it twice and it quit working while I was using it the second time. Had to finish cooking my meal in my crockpot and eat it the following day.instant pot accessories

    ReplyDelete